When you work hard, your work boots take a beating! With proper care, each pair you buy should last one to three years, depending on the type of work you do. If you’re tired of buying new work boots every few months, follow these tips to make them last longer.
- Buy good boots from the get-go. While it’s true that high-quality boots often cost more than poor-quality boots, they’re also made of better materials. This is what allows good boots to last longer, saving you money in the long run.
- Rinse mud, dirt and chemicals off your boots daily. If you allow grime to build up, your boots will fall apart faster.
- Give your boots a good scrubbing once a month. Here’s how:
- Remove the insoles and shoelaces.
- Scrub off large clumps of dirt or mud with a stiff brush or your fingertips.
- Mix up some boot cleaner (or dishwashing liquid) and water in a utility bowl. Dip your brush in the liquid and give your boots a firm scrubbing.
- Rinse your boots under the tap with room-temperature water.
- Set your boots out to dry overnight. Aim a fan at them to speed up the process.
- Apply waterproofing spray, cream or wax. Do this once a month after your boots have dried from being cleaned. If your boots are exposed to water daily, waterproof them every two weeks.
- TIP: Splash water on your boots, and if it doesn’t bead up on the surface, it’s time to waterproof them again!
- Store your boots properly. Don’t keep them in your truck where limited ventilation and temperature fluctuations can make the leather wear out sooner. Instead, store your boots in a dry, cool area in your house.
- Apply leather conditioner when your boots start cracking. Dry, stiff leather is a sign of aging. Fortunately, you don’t need to replace your work boots just yet! Once you notice your boots starting to crack, begin applying leather conditioner every two weeks. This will keep the material supple for many months to come.
If you follow these tips, you can expect your boots to make it to the three-year mark or last even longer! Of course, even the best-cared-for boots won’t last forever. When it’s time for a replacement, check out what Work-n-Wear has to offer. We have a huge selection of work boots and other protective gear from today’s top brands at low, competitive prices. For help finding the right boots for the type of work you do, please contact us online or call (503) 364-3064.